[CT Birds] Northern Shrike South Windsor continues

Bill Asteriades bill.asteriades at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 13:18:55 EST 2013

The 1st winter Northern Shrike continues in the below-mentioned site at
11:30.  The field, where the bird is located, is about 150 yards off the
main road.

Bill Asteriades
South Glastonbury, CT

On Sunday, January 27, 2013, Sara Zagorski <penguinsz at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> As Dan noted, sharp-eyed Rick Macsuga spotted the shrike in a tree out in
the field. We walked in for closer looks and could see it more clearly.
After Rick and Bill M. left, Dan and I stayed and watched the shrike
hunting in the bushes, using its hovering maneuver.

> The bird is grayish brown, white eye ring, faint marks of mask.
>
> Halfway down Vibert Rd is a dirt road that goes into the field. There are
trees and bushes there in the middle of the field, and the bird was hunting
in that area on both sides of the road.

> Thanks to Rick Macsuga for finding the bird and getting the rest of us
over to see it, very much appreciated.

> Sara Zagorski
> Wethersfield
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 27, 2013, at 9:20 AM, Dan Rottino <rottino at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> From Dan Rottino:
>> 1/27/13-south Windsor --9:10am; 1 Northern Shrike.  Seen with 3 other
birders in a back field with scopes.