[CT Birds] 60 Common Redpoll - 2 Pine Siskin

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 21 13:47:23 EST 2013

60 Common Redpoll today at feeders.

  I fluctuate from 5 to 40 each day, with 100+ earlier in the season.
However - their visits are confined to no more than 10-15 minuets tops, unlike
previous years where they fed for sometimes an hour, with my approach being
accepted till nearly being stepped on.

 With an above average breeding season for Common Redpolls to our north, and a
shortage of Birch seed and other tree seeds there as well, these birds have
pushed south, even here in CT in good numbers. Unfortunately for them, the food
crop has also been a poor one here as well, and though this is not a good
situation for them, as such, it is a good one for us who have Bird Feeders.

Many reports of this bird are being reported here in CT, especially at our bird
feeders, for they are hard pressed to find suitable seeds in the wilds of CT. Of
the few trees that had seeds, most by now have been consumed, leaving them no
choice but to seek seeds in weedy fields or our feeders. We are barely through
winter, and they still have a long winter to get through. The Redpolls I get
here in my Harwinton yard get very spooked at the slightest provocation, unlike
other years. I guess thats because with their food sources so sparse, when they
do find one, It has already been chosen as a good reliable site for a predator
to wait at for an abundance of birds to choose from. This of course is a natural
happening, but one that makes it a good year for the predator not the prey.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton