[CT Birds] One or Two Hawks?

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Jan 21 20:17:22 EST 2013

Sorry to flip flop on my "definitely", I guess it is possible that the same Rough-legged Hawk could have cut some corners and moved from where I had it originally to the second location before I got there.  I had thought they were two distinct looking birds, but in looking at the photos, it's possible the distinctive features I saw (white along side of the breast) could have been the result of feather ruffling.  I've posted the photos towards the end of the following album (which should be set to public). The sightings are labeled in the captions as Rough-leg...1 and 2.  I'd be interested in opinions.  I thought the second bird seemed smaller and slimmer as well.

In any case, the raptor show was capped off by an adult Bald Eagle perching along the river seen at the spot where the Rough-leg had been reported and an immature Peregrine Falcon having a late lunch in a tree near Ferry Park.  Photos of them are also in the set.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road