[CT Birds] Rough Legged Hawk

John Shepard jwshep at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 22 17:30:38 EST 2013

I had been observing a Red Tail Hawk watching over the edge of our yard for most
of the day. He had move off about 150 yards to the adjacent property , suddenly
a Rough Legged hawk appeared on the scene and perched on a dead tree branch in
the back yard. The resident Red Tail immediately took notice and drove the Rough
Legged from perch to perch . They got with in 75 ft. of the house . What a
thrill to see both of these birds together and up-close . The altercation lasted
about twenty minutes and the Red Tail finally drove the foreign bird off.

John Shepard  , Portland ,  CT