[CT Birds] RHM Rough-legged Hawk and other reports.

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Jan 24 17:52:43 EST 2013

One Rough-legged Hawk at Rocky Hill Meadows this afternoon.  The real moment though was when there were two adult Bald Eagles flying along the tree line and one of them flew directly in front of the rising moon.  Wish I had my camera at the ready.   A very cold beaver swimming up river with a few branches in tow was also something I'll never forget.   Its head was caked in ice and whiskers frozen.  And you thought you had a rough day.

Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe spotted a Merlin near downtown Meriden on the way home.  I got a report from a pretty reliable biologist of a possible Northern Waterthrush in a 20 year old clearcut in the Mt. Sanford block of Naugatuck State Forest.  That would be something at this date.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road