[CT Birds] CT BIG JANUARY 2013

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 27 07:52:12 EST 2013

Hi all,
As in past years, a number of CT birders are participating in a friendly
competition known as a CT BIG JANUARY. Basically what that is involves going
birding from Jan 1 - Jan 31 within the borders of the state and tallying up as
many species as one can find. I have volunteered to moderate this event in
past, and have agreed to do so this year as well.
(Scott Kruitbosch was kind enough to fill in for me last year).  There are no
nor awards for the winner.

While some specifics still need to be worked out, we hereby  continue the
RULES/GUIDELINES of the past as follows:
- To qualify, one needs to have  a minimum of 90 species for the month
within CT.
- All species seen/heard need to have been counted on public property, your own
property, or private property with permission.
- Report your species list in the same order as the COA ARCC Official CT List:

- For those who use ebird, it should be pretty easy to generate one's January
list for submission.
- Deadline for submission is Saturday, Feb. 2 at 9 pm.  Use this address:
mantlik at sbcglobal.net

- Results and a summary will be  posted online at the COA and/or CAS websites.
- Digital photos you have taken, especially of rare species, are welcome.
Note that smaller photo file size (500 pixels on the longest dimension, with a
resolution set to 72 dpi) makes for easier/quicker emailing.  Credit will be
given on any photos used in the summary  report.
- Since this event is based on the honor system, please make every effort to be
honest and certain of your identifications.
- Provide the date and location for the first time each species was identified
(optional, but  encouraged).

Good January birding!
Frank Mantlik