[CT Birds] Collared Geese and Trumpeter notes

Wayne Bartholomew wsbartholomew1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 10:35:24 EST 2013

I hurried out to Sherwood Island Monday morning to see the Lesser
Black-backed Gull before the onset of our latest winter frontal system
moved in (Thank you Tina for keeping us posted). While enjoying watching my
subject (who was not accompanied at that time by another LB-bG) i noted two
yellow collared Canada Geese (tag ids C426 & C430) riding the incoming
tidal currents (along with about 18 other geese and some Gadwall in the
slough running along Burying Hill Beach) up into the salt marsh.

I contacted Min Huang the Migratory Game Bird Program Leader for DEEP. He
indicated that subsequent to the 2002, DEEP four year Resident Canada Goose
Study,  (http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2723&Q=326148) the Department
has continued to monitor the CG population in part by putting out collars
every three years. Although there are no published results of their
investigations he did indicate to me that "our" collared birds have ranged
as far south as Virginia and as far north as upper Labrador. Furthermore,
the resident population of CGs has generally stabilized to slightly
declined particularly in those areas of the state where they are hunted.

"native" to CT although breeding records for them in New England are varied
- one thing everyone seems to be in agreement on is that by the mid 1830's
they were extirpated from the northeastern US and the Trumpeter swans noted
in CT (as has been previously discussed) is from the Ontario restoration
population. Personally i think the "verdict" on the distribution of
Trumpeters in the northeastern states is still out and i think this is an
important enough topic that it warrants a more in-depth examination of the
ethno-historical records, museum collections and archeological remains as
well as a full blown discussion of "what counts" given the socio-political
and academic complexities of that particular line of inquiry - but i'll
save that for another day.

In conclusion i'd like to than Min for his time and prompt responses to my
questions and share the following beautifully written piece entitled *The
Trumpet of the Swan: Storybook creatures and the revival of a species*
http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/4791/

wayne bartholomew

Bethany