[CT Birds] SE CT/SW RI Snowy Owl

Timothy L Thompson twodogs77 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 30 19:58:01 EST 2013

FYI,
Sandy Point CT/RI demarcation is actually closer to 1/4 Connecticut and 3/4
Rhode Island (maybe even 1/5 and 4/5).  I did shorebird surveys there last year
and have kayaked the area.  The available internet photos suggested by Mr. Roy
Harvey do not show the recent severe damage caused by hurricane Sandy.  The area
has changed dramatically.  The Connecticut area is very small but has the most
natural cover (or did, prior to Sandy).  This area is heavily populated with
Gulls.....especially Black Back.  In fact, I kidded myself about renaming Sandy
Point to "Black Back Island".  Smaller shorebirds such as Piping Plover have a
difficult time here.  Glenn you make a great point about the realtionship
between Sandy Point and Napatree..the two areas work hand in hand as an amazing
ecosystem and provide so much.  Pat Comins suggests that Sandy may even improve
some coastal beaches for future nesting sites....let's hope for the best...Sorry
to digress...Hope the Snowy Owl acclimates and continues at Napatree and Sandy
Point.

Timothy L. Thompson
Norwich, CT