[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Schedule of February Activities

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 11:25:02 EST 2013

Please note the February schedule of activities of the New Haven Bird

Indoor Meeting:

February 14, 7:00 pm.  Jacob Musser—Feathers Make the Bird, but What
Makes the Feathers?  Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder
Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the public.  Ah, feathers—that
source of eternal delight to birders, but these remarkable structures
are hardly just “eye candy.” Feathers are integral to the lives of
birds, endowing them with the capacity for flight, precise control
over body temperature, and a showy plumage for use in displays of
aggression and affection. But where do feathers come from, and how
did they evolve their impressive ability to vary in size and shape?
In this talk, Jacob, a PhD candidate in Yale’s Dept. of Ecology and
Evolutionary Biology, will discuss how his recent investigations on
the genetic instructions for growing feathers have shed new light on
their early evolution—and how his research has led him from the
laboratory to emu farms and alligator-filled swamps in Louisiana..
Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more
information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org or call 203-230-1697.

Field Trips:

Hammonasset State Park, Madison.   Saturday, February 2, 8:00 am.
Free and open to the public. Join us as we visit this premier CT
birding location for a mid-winter excursion. We will be looking for
sea ducks, shorebirds, grassland species, and winter finches. Notable
sightings on last year’s trip included Common Eider, Surf Scoter,
Sanderling, Purple Sandpiper, Dunlin, Merlin, Snow Bunting, and
Horned Lark. We’ll check out the entire park, including the
campgrounds area. Meet at the Nature Center parking lot at Meig’s
Point.  Leader—Chris Loscalzo:  203.389.6508, closcalz at optonline.net

First Wednesday Walk: Hammonasset State Park, Madison.  Wednesday,
February 6, 8:00 am.  Free and open to the public. Join us on this
mid-week field trip to one of the area’s best birding locations. We
will look for sea ducks, grassland species, and rarities. We should
see loons, grebes, scoters, and, perhaps, eiders. Horned Larks and
Snow Buntings may be on the grassy lots if they are not covered with
snow.  Meet at the park entrance at 8:00 am (I-95, Exit 62).
Leader:  Greg Hanisek.  Contact -Tina Green: 203.247.2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge and Rhode Island Coast.
Saturday, February 23, 7:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  This
all-day trip includes stops at Sachuest Point, Beavertail State Park,
Moonstone Beach and Trustum Pond, all outstanding Rhode Island
birding locations.  We should see grebes, loons, scoters, scaup,
Purple Sandpipers, and Harlequin Ducks. Highlights on last year’s
trip included Northern Gannet, Bonaparte’s Gull, and Lesser Black-
backed Gull. Dress warmly—it’s cold and windy on the coast. The
hiking is a bit strenuous in places. Bring lunch and a spotting scope
if you have one. Meet at the Branford commuter lot at Exit 55, I-95.
We carpool from there.  Leader: Chris Loscalzo: 203 389-6508 or
closcalz at optonline.

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director