[CT Birds] Special Field Trip to Block Island

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Tue Jan 29 10:47:56 EST 2013

To whom it may concern:

Outdoor Program Chairman Chris Loscalzo has recently organized a
special New Haven Bird Club field trip to Block Island on Thursday,
Mar 21.  This trip is open to the public, but it certainly is not
free.  See details below.

An announcement of the NHBC March indoor meeting and local outdoor
field trips will appear later in February.

Block Island, Rhode Island.  Thursday, March 21st, 2013, 6:00 am.
This is an all-day trip to this magical island at the east end of the
Long Island Sound.  We'll carpool onto the ferry from Point Judith in
the early morning.  We'll look for pelagic birds such as razorbills,
murres, and gannets from the ferry and then look for sea ducks,
gulls, and shorebirds on the island.  After birding the island all
morning, we'll dine at a restaurant for lunch and then take an
afternoon ferry back to the mainland.  People interested in going on
this trip should contact the trip leader to register in advance.
Carpooling to Point Judith is encouraged.  We will take as few cars
as necessary onto the ferry to reduce costs.  The itinerary is as

Meet at the ferry terminal in Point Judith at 6:00 am.
Leave Point Judith, RI at 6:30 am on the ferry.
Go birding on Block Island from 7:30 am to 1:00 pm.
Have lunch at one of the restaurants/pubs on the island from 1:00 to
2:00 pm.
Leave Block Island at 2:30 pm.  Arrive back at Point Judith at 3:30 pm.

Drive time from New Haven to Point Judith is about 2 hours.  Thus,
participants should plan on leaving the New Haven area around 4:00 am
and can expect to be back around 6:00 pm.  An alternative to leaving
so early in the morning would be to rent a motel room in Point
Judith.   Species of interest that are likely to be seen on the trip,
either from the ferry or the island include:

Common Eider                        Horned
Grebe                          Sanderling
Harlequin Duck               Red-necked Grebe              		Dunlin
Surf Scoter                              Northern
Gannet                    Black-legged Kittiwake
White-winged Scoter              Great Cormorant
Bonaparte's Gull
Black Scoter                            Northern
Harrier                    Iceland Gull
Long-tailed Duck               Black-bellied Plover
Common Murre
Common Goldeneye
Killdeer                                   Razorbill
Red-throated Loon                American Oystercatcher
Black Guillemot
Common Loon

The anticipated cost of the trip is: $40 per person for the ferry and
$10-20 per person for the lunch.  Additional travel costs to and from
Point Judith should be considered, as should motel fares should
anyone choose that option. Field Trip Leader: Chris Loscalzo at: 203
389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net.

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director