[CT Birds] Crossbill calls

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 30 12:56:27 EST 2013

I noted an item in the latest Living Bird magazine (Winter 2013) from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology concerning  crossbill calls which I think others will find of interest:
" A Call For Crossbill Calls"
"If you see crossbills this winter and wonder where they are from, make a sound recording and we may be able to help. You can often get useable recordings from just a smartphone app. Send your recording as an email attachment to audio engineer and crossbill expert Matt Young at the Lab's Macaulay Library (may6 at cornell.edu). He can identify most call notes by ear; others require analysis with our Raven sound-analysis software. He'll email back an identification, and the data accumulated will provide a fuller picture of the year's movement."
"It takes training to distinguish the call types, but it's not impossible to learn, Young said. He has posted an online primer including recordings and spectrograms at www.bit.ly/crossbills. The results of your study will be their own reward, Young said. 'Other then maybe birds-of paradise, there's not a more interesting bird in the world.'".

Interesting comparing crossbills to birds-of -paradise.

David W Babington
Washington, CT