[CT Birds] Dowitcher ID help

Joe Cala joejr14 at aol.com
Tue Feb 5 20:54:38 EST 2013

Hey all-

I was in Florida last week for a friend's wedding and managed to sneak in a few days worth of birding.  Added 14 new birds to the list and got a ton of upgraded photos, but I'm having some trouble confirming the dowitchers I saw.

I was at Merritt Island NWR and came across a pool with a small flock of Dowitchers.  I initially ID'd them as Long-billed due to bill shape, feeding and overall posture.  The pictures are awful due to heat shimmer off the water.  I only took a few pics as I was shooting into the sun and wasn't able to get clear shots.

Here's a few links....can anyone confirm (or correct) my ID?

Warning....photos are BIG.

http://josephcala.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v77/p1410112036.jpg

http://josephcala.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v81/p1410112076.jpg