[CT Birds] Big January 2013 results

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 22:34:26 EST 2013

Certainly not subvirgatus. And while many of the characters you cite are true for summer  or fall birds in this genus, winter is a bit tougher. The structure of this birds bill is smaller, like Nelson's, than Saltmarsh. The flank streaking is not right for Saltmarsh, weird for Subvirgatus, but might be ok for other forms of nelson's. A west coast birder mentioned to me that birds appearing like this in California are called Nelson's.

But hey, who knows... I think that Nelsons of some form, or maybe Nelson's X Saltmarsh can not be ruled out at this time.... Saltmarsh would probably be a better bird...its still a tick for 2013 no matter what you decide to call it.

Mark