[CT Birds] NW corner Hoary Redpolls, etc

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 13:53:11 EST 2013

Birders,

I had a couple hours to kill in the NW corner this morning and spent
some time looking for finches. All I could muster was a half-dozen
redpolls, but one was a Hoary. Unfortunately it was on private
property so I won't post the location, but I did want to let folks
know that redpolls of both flavors are still being seen in CT since
listserv reports seem to have dropped off recently. Perhaps that will
change with the impending storm.

Also, a friend in the NW corner informed me earlier this week that he
is still seeing about 100 redpolls including one Hoary at his feeders.

I checked out some areas that had significant amounts of bittersweet
early this winter (but really no other fruit) and found these places
to be stripped clean. Not surprisingly, no frugivores in sight.

Lastly, although the heaviest wind with the upcoming storm will be
from the north, it will start from the east and could mix things up
enough to drop a rare alcid into Long Island Sound. The coast should
be worth a check Saturday if you can dig out and bear the cold.

Nick

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com