[CT Birds] Harkness Memorial State Park Closed

Timothy L Thompson twodogs77 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 10 20:51:24 EST 2013

2/10/13 4:15pm - Harkness MSP, Waterford,  Park gated and snowed in. Auxiliary
parking spaces outside of gates in front are fronted by a four to five foot snow
wall, unplowed and inaccessable.  Access road into park unplowed.  Waterford
policeman let me park in front of entrance to bird the park.  Walked on top of
snow as it stiffend up enough to slowly make my way out to point.  19 - AMERICAN
BLACK DUCKS, usual GULLS, 6 - COMMON EIDERS ( 5-F, 1-M), 4 - COMMON GOLDENEYE
(2-F,2-M), 50 + BRANTS, 9 - CANADA GEESE, RED BREASTED MERGANSERS, lone PURPLE
FINCH singing at top of tree at entrance.  No ALCIDS off point after storm and
no sign of PURPLE SANDPIPERS that had been present here recently.

Timothy L. Thompson
Norwich,CT