[CT Birds] ID help - in Bozrah

David careydavid at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 4 22:22:24 EST 2013

From my post earlier today (re black vultures) I mentioned that on the outer edge of the group there was a white bird that appeared to be a vulture also.  My first thought was albino.  There didn't seem to be any restlessness in the group but while I was watching the blacks haggle over the carcus, the white bird took off.  I didn't realize it had taken flight until it was heading off up and across the field.

My dilemma is that when I looked up albino vultures; it doesn't seem very likely that it was one... So I am at a loss as to what it might have been.

While it was on the ground with all the rest it appeared to be a vulture.  Never did get a good look at the head (it was all crouched down). I missed it getting up to take flight.  In flight the wingspan was all as big as a vultures and on the underside at the wingtips there were some dark/black feathers.  But the bird was ALL white except for those feathers at the tips.

The field is by work, so I will be going back to the area again to see if I get lucky.

Any help and/ideas would be appreciated.

Dave Carey

Sent from my iPad