[CT Birds] Albino Turkey Vulture

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Feb 5 13:29:12 EST 2013

I believe there has been more than one white Turkey Vulture in eastern CT over the past several years. I have seen a nearly all white TV a couple of times in the Miller Pond area of Waterford, which is close enough to Bozrah for a TV foraging territory. This bird was nearly entirely white, however there was a small amount of black toward the wingtips. A few years ago I was sent some images of another CT TV in flight that was indeed all white. So it would appear there has been more than one white TV in the area. On an ornithological note, white feathers on a bird (which shouldn't have white) does not necessarily mean albinism, and some color (especially reds/browns) doesn't necessarily mean it isn't an albino. I posted a discussion about that last year, it can be very confusing!

Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Albino Turkey Vulture

Most years for the past 5-8(+?) years there has been a white turkey vulture in the large vulture roost in Willimantic.  It is not always there but seems to show up at some point every winter.  Over a similar time span there have been several reports of white vultures in eastern CT.  I suspect it is all the same bird.

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.