[CT Birds] "Brown" Downy

Jane Olsen olsenj at stlukesct.org
Sat Feb 9 09:25:27 EST 2013

We have a downy woodpecker that is resident in the woods behind our house
(in Ridgefield), who visits our feeder pretty much daily.  He is definitely
brown, where he ought to be white, on his face and breast. My daughter has
named him "Beowulf."  Has anyone ever seen this?  At first we thought he
was dirty, but he has been around at least since last summer, and his
coloration does not change.  Photo attached.

Jane Nicklin Olsen
Fifth Grade Teacher
St. Luke's School
New Canaan, CT 06840
email: olsenj at stlukesct.org
phone: +1 (203) 801-4905

*This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and any attachments and destroy any
copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than
the intended recipient is unauthorized.*

*Please consider the environment before printing this email.