[CT Birds] Suet

Jo-Anne Roberts jmrcnslt at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 13:35:49 EST 2013

I gave some of my suet mix to my father for father's day last year along with a new suet feeder. His WP didn't really care for the suet. We both melt down suet and add to it, so I guess it's what they get used to.
I also buy suet (3#) at my local S&S (cheapest price around). I chop it up and melt it down in large stock pot, add peanut butter (about 2 cups) (they like the chunky, in my opinion), flour (3 cups) and cornmeal (2#). Pour into an old tupperware container lined with foil. Let it harden and then cut for my feeders. This time of year I can get away with melting down 3# a week, during the summer it's usually 6# a week with fledglings galore.
I've been using this recipe for years and they seem to like it. If I think of it, if I have any dried fruit/nuts past its prime, I include that too.
Jo-AnneMansfield Center