[CT Birds] I'm very courious...

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Tue Feb 12 21:28:39 EST 2013

I think birds are very resourceful. I have c. 5-mile loop I drive several
times a week in rural Watertown and a little corner of Woodbury. When I
drove it Monday there were some birds at feeders, but there were two bigger
hotspots - one expected and one totally unexpected. The expected one was
Logue Farm, where large supplies of cattle feed and manure attract a variety
of birds whenever the weather becomes harsh. In addition to hundreds of
crows and starlings there were 17 Black Vultures, a Turkey Vulture, and 2
Red-tailed Hawks plus Horned Larks, Savannah Sparrows etc.

The unexpected spot was the outflow from L. Winnemaug, which usually would
be a frozen trickle at this time of year, but because of recent rainy
weather it has become a wide, unfrozen marshy haven for probably more than a
hundred birds, ranging from Mallards, Am. Black Ducks and a Red-shouldered
Hawk to large numbers of E. Bluebirds, Am. Robins, various sparrows and at
least one E. Towhee (first I've found this year).

No wet spot is too small. In a tiny seep on Artillery Road I found a Swamp
Sparrow.

Of course a lot of birds will die during the course of the winter, but
that's normal. Bird populations reach their seasonal high in late
summer-early fall, when all the young of the year swell the numbers. Winter
then winnows those numbers down until they're replenished in the next
breeding season. (A generalization. Things vary greatly, species-by-species,
for a wide range of reasons.)

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury