[CT Birds] Hamden Yard birds

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 13 09:13:42 EST 2013

>From Jim and Carol Zipp
2/12/13 - Hamden yard, Brooksvale area

After that one day blip up to 155 Rusty Blackbirds it settled back down to the
steady 50-60.  Since the storm it has swelled again to sometimes approx 120.
The way I've counted is by taking a photo or video of the birds on the ground
and then counting them with a grid in photoshop to get a close count and then
seeing what portion of the flock landed.  The photo will represent only a
portion of the flock as it's rare that all of them make it to the ground before
they all take off at once to the trees again.

People have asked what I feed them.  We put a fairly large amount of seed on the
snow for the ground feeders and have been using a mix heavy in hulled sunflower
but also including black oil, white millet and peanuts.  The Rusty's eat
everything but neatly pick around the black oil and rarely eat any of that.  The
cardinals don't mind.....
Also note that even with this number of birds, I've yet to see even one Rusty
Blackbird ever land on any feeder including platforms.

Here's a quick video of the rusty's coming down to the ground and shows the
typical way they drop in and then fly out.  They are also spending a lot of time
in the tree tops singing now as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZozccGs_8GE

Interestingly this past week we've had a flock of now up to 35 all female
red-winged blackbirds join them at times which we've never noted over the
years.  A handful of Cowbirds too but no Grackles yet.

Also, up to 6 Tree Sparrows, 2 Fox Sparrows, 6 Common Redpoll.

The Fat RobinWild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518
www.fatrobin.com
203-248-7068