[CT Birds] Greater White-Fronted Geese at Lake Waramug

Belinda Boone belindareneeboone at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 09:23:37 EST 2013

After going to Mass to get my ashes in New Milford, I decided to drive around Lake Waramug to see if there was anything interesting. In the front yard of a house on West Shore Road, I saw an unusual pair of large geese with bright orange feet.

I doubled back (twice) to look at them again. According to Peterson's field guide, no other goose in our area has yellow or orange feet. I snapped a couple of pics with my iPhone, attached below. I could not make out a white patch on the face. Perhaps because of dirt?

WFGO's are supposed to winter in Mexico & the Gulf, so if I'm wrong about the ID, please let me know. This would be a lifer for me.

Belinda