[CT Birds] Duck Stamps

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Wed Feb 13 17:51:24 EST 2013

Hi Everyone,

Normally I keep my mouth shut and don't comment on these topics, but I
think its an important one. I am sure I am like many of you on this
site....I hate being preached to! But this subject is important enough
to add a few thoughts from a slightly different perspective.

Since I was part of the "duck/conservation stamp" program a few years
ago, I just want to add this.

I painted the CT duck stamp designs in 1996 (Oldsquaws at Greens Ledge
Light in Norwalk) and 1999 (Canada Geese at Mystic Seaport) and the
Rhode Island designs from 1999 through 2006. At that time signed and
numbered limited edition prints were available for sale to compliment
the stamps offering a nice art display to hang on your wall in your
home or office. With the sale of the prints went a nominal royalty to
the States, which added to their income. These prints were sold in
many Editions from a standard edition to a high end Governor's Edition
with a signed Governors stamp...again paying higher royalties to the
States stamp program for conservation. Even artist's signed stamps
are/were available, and some even included an artists mini color
Remarque on the stamp for a few $$$ more. In the case of the RI
program (which I published) a matching decoy could be ordered to
compliment the stamp/print/Remarque package Edition again adding to
the income for the State's Conservation Program.

The times have changed and many of the states no longer offer the
prints for sale thus farther reducing the amount of money that was
raised for the program. Now they are entirely dependent on the monies
raised from the sale of the stamps only. THe fact that the stamps are
acting as solo support for the program....we need to buy them!! Land
management and acquisition doesn't happen by wishing it would, it
takes $$$, and  lots of them!

I know many birders have a negative opinion (or much worse) for
hunting and hunters, and that certainly is your right. But over the
years I have heard so many times that the money from duck stamp sales
are being used to make sure that hunters will always have enough
waterfowl/birds to kill! Nothing can be farther from the truth...all
you have to do is read Min's post to see that.

I am not sure if there is any birding organization that can match the
money raised from us by Ducks Unlimited, Waterfowl USA. all the
Waterfowler Associations from all the States as well as the many
chapters of the Grouse, Woodcock and Wild Turkey Federations across
this country. Yes the majority of them are hunters, but they are all
aware that the money will be used for land management and
conservation, not filling the skies and woods with game to shoot.

I have hunted waterfowl for most of my life. Even though I don't
anymore, I know many who do. In fact 90 percent of my customer base
actively hunt, and all understand the need for a vital conservation
program or else they might as well give it up.....there will be no
land to hunt on!

What is the cost??? The cost is that vital land and its management
will fade away...than what? Where will we go then? Can you imagine
going birding in this State without access to Hammo or any other State
Park?? Or many of the lakes and fields around this State? What then?

For the cost of a few $$$ to purchase a few duck stamps shouldn't even
be a question or should it be mentioned on this site...its just common
sense! A few $$$ raised from the sale of duck stamps equals a future
for the birds and a place for us to enjoy them is a (excuse the
cliche)..."no-brainer"!!

Please read Min's post.

Good Birding to everyone!

Keith Mueller