[CT Birds] Duck Stamps

MIN HUANG mhuang at snet.net
Thu Feb 14 09:44:58 EST 2013

As an additional piece of information to think about, the DEEP along with a
number of different partners such as TNC and Audubon is submitting a competetive
grant proposal to protect 82 acres of critical coastal habitat at a total cost
of over $4 million dollars.  The chances of getting this money are slight, given
that it is a competetive grant against other states in the Atlantic Flyway.  Of
the 82 acres, 34 are prime early successional habitat that supports high
priority species such as blue-winged warblers.  Statewide, we are at only 15-25%
of our population objective for this species.  A 34 acre parcel, if properly
managed over time, will support 3-4 pairs.  so, at a cost of approximately 2.6
million dollars, we can contribute less than 1% towards our statewide objective
for this species.  Think about the amount of resources that it will take to
reach our objective for this species alone.  As another example, we have figured
that it takes approximately $2,600 to successfully fledge an American kestrel
here in CT.  With an annual allocation of <$100,000, in CT, we could de-list
American kestrels, and keep them off the list.  This list of non-hunted species
that are well below population objectives is long. In contrast, by and large, we
have no hunted bird species except for woodcock and grouse and a few waterfowl
species that are below a stated goal.

The difference is the amount of funding that goes towards the conservation of
each suite of species, and where those funds come from.  I don't want to be
preachy either, but, we are certainly at a proverbial crossroad in this state
and elsewhere as to the future of conservation.

Min Huang
Columbia