[CT Birds] GBBC results links morning update and missing birds list

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Feb 16 08:04:40 EST 2013

It was requested that I send around a list of the "most wanted" species.  That is, birds that have been around, or could be around that are missing so far.

We stand at 109 species so far, including the good report of a Hoary Redpoll that just came in via email, but not yet submitted.   That makes two new CT species for the count already, Hoary Redpoll and Bullock's Oriole. Not counting the Caspian/Yellow-legged Gull (just kidding, but that bird is worth finding again).

The missing species list of species reported in the last 2 weeks on eBird, but not yet reported for the count includes:
Greater White-fronted Goose
Cackling Goose (a report was mentioned from yesterday, but it hasn't shown up in the totals)
Eurasian Wigeon
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Canvasback
Surf Scoter (amazingly)...plus no Black Scoters either in the past 2 weeks.
(no Ruffed Grouse in February at all)
Pied-billed and Red-necked Grebes
Great Egret
Black-crowned Night-Heron
(no goshawks in Feb)
(no Golden Eagles in Feb)
Northern Harrier (amazingly)
Rough-legged Hawk (Rocky Hill Meadows hasn't been plowed out)
Glaucous Gull
(no Yellow-legged, California, Mew, Ross', Little, Black-headed, Caspian, Kelp, Glaucous-winged, Heuglin's, Black-tailed, Slaty-Backed, Vega or Ivory Gulls at all in Feb...come-on everyone get busy:-).
(no other alcids but Razorbill in Feb)
Short-eared Owl
Northern Saw-whet Owl
(no Snowy or Long-eared or Barn in Feb)
(No Red-headed Woodpeckers in Feb.)
(no Gyrfalcons in Feb)
Eastern Phoebe
Winter Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
(no Brown Thrashers in Feb)
(no Bohemian Waxwings in Feb)
Lapland Longspur
Pine Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
White-crowned Sparrow
Indigo Bunting
(no Boat-tailed Grackle for Feb)
(no Pine or Evening Grosbeaks for Feb)

Thank you all for birding this weekend!  42 species more and we can tie last year's record, which would require us finding some really good birds.

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut