[CT Birds] Mondo Pond & CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 16:14:54 EST 2013

2/16  Milford.
I visited Mondo Ponds (11-11:25AM) and the Coastal Center(2:35-3:15PM) this
afternoon.
The entrance to Mondo Ponds on Naugatuck Ave. is not plowed, so one has to
park on a side street.  Access was just manageable if one has high boots.
I only walked on the path to the right for about 100' to get some views on
the main pond area.
12  Gadwalls, 3 Coots, 12 American wigeons, 18 Ring necked ducks,  about 55
mallards, 9 Hooded mergansers,
1 male Wood duck flew in around 11:10AM, 1 Red breasted merganser,
mourning doves, blue jays, robins, chickadees, a downy, a song sparrow,
white throated sparrows, ring billed & herring gulls.
At CACC, from windows facing marsh, 26 black ducks, 2 Herring gulls, 3
American wigeons, 3 Mute swans, 5 mallards, 2 gadwalls, 2 Red breasted
mergansers;  at feeders, 2 cardinals, 3 Common Redpolls, 2 American tree
sparrows, 2 song sparrows, 3 mourning doves, 2 pigeons,  12 house sparrows.
I walked to the LIS side (again boots needed) and from observation
platform, saw about 80 Black ducks, 114 Canada geese, 4 Red breasted
mergansers,  100+ gulls in mixed flock with 2 Greater black backed gulls,
and at least 100+ ducks too far out for ID.
Bev Propen, Orange