[CT Birds] GBBC update

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Feb 16 20:41:40 EST 2013

There seem to be a few glitches that are being worked through on the new GBBC system, but in the end it will all be an improvement.  So far, we're up to 122 species, but there are at least 5 that still need to be entered or approved through eBird.

Highlights from today that weren't captured as of yesterday:
Eurasian Wigeon, Stratford
Canvasback, Westport
Surf Scoter, Madison
Ring-necked Pheasant, Barkhamsted
Nothern Gannet, Bridgeport
Golden Eagle, Washington  (needs to be verified)
Rough-legged Hawk, Woodbury
Black-belled Plover, Madison
Ruddy Turnstone, Norwalk (I think I forgot to highlight that yesterday)
Merlin, Norwalk (again I think I forgot to highlight)
Northern Shrike, Enfield (may need verification)
Both kinglets (G-c, Bridgeport, R-c Quinibaug)
Hermit Thrush, Burlington
Brown Thrasher, Madison
Fox Sparrow, Sterling (yesterday's had to be thrown out due to date problems)
White-crowned Sparrows, Watertown
Yellow-headed Blackbird, Salem

Also, I know of reports of  Red Knot, Long-eared Owl, Hoary Redpolls, Dickcissel and Yellow-rumped Warbler that aren't yet reflected in the totals.

I think there were a few species missing from this morning's "missing species" list, so here is a new list, including some long shots: Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, Cackling Goose, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Redhead, King Eider, Barrow's Goldeneye, Ruffed Grouse, Pied-billed Grebe, Red-necked Grebe, Great Egret, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Northern Goshawk, Virginia Rail, Greater Yellowlegs, Wilson's Snipe, Black-headed Gull, Glaucous Gull, Common Murre, Dovekie, Light on owls, missing Great Horned Owl, Eastern Screech Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl (yesterday's removed due to date issues), Short-eared Owl, Barn Owl, Snowy Owl (I swear Great Horned and screech were there this morning), Great Gray, Northern Hawk and Boreal Owls sure would be a nice touch, Red-headed Woodpecker (a real one), Gyrfalcon (one can hope), any swallows, Marsh Wren, Bohemian Waxwing, Palm, Pine or any other warblers besides Yellow-rumped, Chat, Chipping Sparrow (a real one), Indigo Bunting, Boat-tailed Grackle, Baltimore Oriole, Pine or Evening Grosbeak.

There might be some I'm missing, but those sure would be a good start.  To view this year's tally, please see:
http://ebird.org/ebird/gbbc/sightings?listType=first&locInfo.regionType=subnational1&locInfo.regionCode=US-CT&beginYear=2013&endYear=2013&continuous=false

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation