[CT Birds] GBBC update

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sun Feb 17 22:16:32 EST 2013

We're at 139 species now (give or take) and still one more day to go! (and some still to hit the database)

Additions for today include:
Snow Goose (in need of verification)
Northern Shoveler, Southport
Northern Pintail, Somers
Pied-billed Grebe, Stratford
American Oystercatcher (new species for CT count), Oyster River, West Haven/Milford
Greater Yellowlegs, Stratford
Wilson's Snipe, Stratford
Eastern Screech-Owl, Poquonock
Long-eared Owl, (record came through in totals now)
Winter Wren, Milford (how did I miss that this species was missing!)
Yellow-rumped Warbler, Barkhamsted of all places (shows up now in the totals)
Pine Warbler, Willington
Lapland Longspur, Stratford (another one I should have had on the most wanted list!)
Chipping Sparrow, Ellington
Hoary Redpolls, Barkhamsted (records now shows up in totals)

Additionally, the Dickcissel and Red Knot are still not showing up in the totals.   The Yellow-legged Gull candidate would need to be accepted by ARRC before it could be added to the list.   Also, I saw a report of Red-necked Grebes from today.  Hopefully they will be submitted or relocated tomorrow.   Apparently there is a good report of a Northern Goshawk still to hit the totals and Golden Eagle is likely to come off the list.

Here is the current "most wanted" list, ~10 more and we can match last year. Great job everyone!

Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose (tentative report), Cackling Goose, Redhead, King Eider, Barrow's Goldeneye, Ruffed Grouse, Red-necked Grebe*, Great Egret, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Northern Goshawk*, Virginia Rail, Black-headed Gull, Glaucous Gull, Common Murre, Dovekie, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Short-eared Owl, Barn Owl, Snowy Owl, Great Gray, Northern Hawk and Boreal Owls still would be a nice touch, Red-headed Woodpecker (a real one), Gyrfalcon (one can hope), any swallows, Marsh Wren, Bohemian Waxwing, Palm or any other warblers besides Yellow-rumped or Pine, Chat, Indigo Bunting (I guess the blizzarcaine did the one in), Boat-tailed Grackle, Baltimore Oriole, Pine or Evening Grosbeak.

And as always, please call me if you find a Ross' Gull or Black-tailed Gull (or even an Ivory Gull).

There might be some I'm missing, but those sure would be a good start.  To view this year's tally, please see:
http://ebird.org/ebird/gbbc/sightings?listType=first&locInfo.regionType=subnational1&locInfo.regionCode=US-CT&beginYear=2013&endYear=2013&continuous=false

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation