[CT Birds] Article on large decline in duck stamp sales

john@birdspix.com schwarzjs at aol.com
Wed Feb 13 11:38:26 EST 2013

Duck stamps have long been popular with U.S. stamp collectors, both because of their beauty, and because the earliest ones are fairly scarce. Unfortunately, stamp collecting in general is dying out as a hobby as these days young people have a myriad of far more enticing free-time activities available. In addition, the government opportunistically started printing stamps especially for collectors which, much like killing the goose that laid the golden egg, instead took much of the fun and challenge out of collecting. Most stamp collections, with a few exceptions, have actually lost considerable value over the past quarter century. That readily helps to explain the declining interest in duck stamps.

John Schwarz