[CT Birds] Duck Stamps

MIN HUANG mhuang at snet.net
Wed Feb 13 16:27:34 EST 2013

Please buy CT Duck Stamps.  All of the money goes towards habitat protection
here in our state.  There is also a $2 migratory bird donation that you can make
as well.

All of these monies are extremely helpful towards conservation in our state, but
not nearly enough.  The income tax checkoff isn't nearly enough.

We need a stable, dedicated source of money for habitat protection and for non
hunted wildlife.  The hunters have ponied up, they pay 11% on all ammunition and
hunting equipment.  That 11% tax goes back to habitat protection and wildlife
management.  In CT that amounts to over $2,900,000 annually that goes into
habitat protection and management.  But, mostly targeting hunted species, as
well it should, given where the money comes from.

Shouldn't we be willing to pay towards the things we cherish?  A 10% tariff on
bird seed, for instance, could raise over $6,000,000 annually in CT. Thats $3 a
bag.  Think about what good things could be done by Land Trusts, Conservation
Commissions, the Audubons, The CT DEEP with that kind of bankroll.

Min Huang