[CT Birds] Sherwood Island Highlights

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 14 09:43:38 EST 2013

2/14/13- Westport - Sherwood Island SP - 11 species of ducks including 2 male Canvasbacks in the Mill Pond, immature White-crowned Sparrow continues at the feeders near the nature center.

I witnessed a behavior between a drake and hen Common Goldeneye for the first time early this morning. I have always seen the males throwing their heads backwards at this time of year but today I watched a female with her head stretched forward and lying on the water's surface, almost as if she was dead and floating. I observed a male very close to her for about 30 seconds and then he swam over and grabbed the back of her head and spun her around several times as get head appeared very limp. I actually thought she was dead before she suddenly picked her head up and swam off. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Tina Green
Sent from my iPhone