[CT Birds] Sherwood Island Highlights

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Thu Feb 14 10:16:29 EST 2013

Hi Tina,

That's a common waterfowl mating behavior. When I raised wild
waterfowl in my aviary, I witnessed some strange mating behavior such
as a drake black duck trying to mate with a hen G W Teal, and a male
Fulvous Whistling duck enamored with a drake Cinnamon Teal. What is
more interesting is watching the male courting behavior from all the
different species. I like the Red-breasted Mergansers and Common
Eiders the best.

At MacMillan's Pier in P'town you can watch the Eiders mating all day
long....its especially interesting to watch the gallant males guarding
their hens from all the other suitors!

K Mueller