[CT Birds] Great Backyard Bird Count starts tomorrow

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Feb 14 21:42:49 EST 2013

Just a reminder that the Great Backyard Bird Count begins tomorrow and goes through Monday.   For more info on how you can participate, please see:
Or for a more in depth article with specific info for CT:

Will we be able to break last year's record of 151 species?  It will be pretty tough with the deep snow cover and all of the great birds we had last year, including: Pink-footed Goose, Common Murre, Red-headed Woodpecker, Northern Rough-winged and Tree Swallows, Marsh Wren, Yellow-breasted Chat and Harris's Sparrow.  You never know though and I can think of at least 3 new species for the count that we have a good shot for:  Indigo Bunting, Bullock's Oriole and Hoary Redpoll.

Who knows what we all might find.  I for one will be at the Windsor Landfill tomorrow looking to pad the gull totals!

Remember, this year the count is fully integrated with eBird, so any data you submit to eBird will automatically be counted in the count.

Good birding everyone!

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut