[CT Birds] North Granby - Redpolls & Siskins (one of them unusual)

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Sun Feb 17 17:56:32 EST 2013

During the Great Backyard Bird Count today, we noted 5 Redpolls and 4 Pine Siskins among our feeder birds.  One of the Siskins had much more extensive yellow patches than on any bird I've ever seen before.   This was especially noticeable on the wings and undertail coverts.  Streaking was also much reduced.  The bird resembled Sibley's illustration of the so-called "yellow adult male" PISI, which he describes as rare and usually found in the Southwest.

John Weeks
Chris Chinni