[CT Birds] Waterfowl on CT River in Enfield

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Mon Feb 18 11:46:27 EST 2013

I mean to post this on Sunday - I had a raft of 1,200-1300 Canada Geese on the CT River just north of the Suffield bridge this past Saturday afternoon (3:00), with the following:

3 Snow geese (1 light, 2 dark morph)
5-6 Lesser? Canada Geese (were about 3/4 the size of the others, with noticeably smaller beaks)  - I don't know geese all that well, so I am not sure which sub-species these may have been?
1 whitish Canada Goose - Very strange looking bird - it was almost all white, but you could see all the usual markings which were masked and barely visible (like a faint peach color) - I wouldn't say albino, but close..
12 Common Golden Eyes
9 hooded mergansers (5 males)
7 Ring-neck duck
10 Common Mergansers
30 Mallards

Same day on Bilton Road - Somers Prison Property (3:45ish) - very bright and handsome adult Northern Harrier coursing around the field across from the Maximum Security Prison.  Top of the bird was a beautiful Blue-gray with the low Sun hitting it just right.

Jim