[CT Birds] C Wren Eats Thistle Seed

Patricia Bailey bails at att.net
Mon Feb 18 21:21:39 EST 2013

To accommodate the large numbers of Common Redpolls that descend on the thistle feeder, I have been spreading thistle seed on my deck railing and/or patting down snow and spreading on top of the snow.  To my surprise the Carolina Wren enjoys thistle but never eats from the thistle feeder.  The Carolina Wren also enjoys chopped up suet as does the White-Breasted Nuthatch and Tufted Titmouse.  In this cold weather, it seems the suet is too hard for them to break up.
Pat Bailey
Sherman, CT