[CT Birds] Tomorrow's Gull ID Seminar correction meet inside the landfill.

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Feb 20 18:57:17 EST 2013

In the announcement it says that the leaders will be meeting folks at the gate tomorrow.   Generally we have all just met inside the landfill.  There is nowhere to congregate at the gate and it takes some time to get from there to where the gulls are.

Again, car-pooling is highly recommended and some folks are meeting at the Exit 38 Park and Ride at 9:30.  When you arrive at the gate, drive on to the scale, and stop at the speaker with the little deli number tags.   They will generally ask you for your number, thinking you are a Windsor resident there to drop off trash.   Just inform them that you are just there for the gulls.   DO NOT GO IN WITHOUT CHECKING IN AT THE GATE FIRST.   This was emphasized to me by dump staff.

Once in, the road around to the landfill is relatively obvious.  As you enter the dirt road part, you'll see some large much piles, with a relatively flat area to park our cars in (parking is very limited).  Park here and you will see the group starting to form in the relatively open country.

DO NOT PARK IN THE ROAD, as there are large dump trucks that need to pass.  Also, staying well away from any equipment or dump traffic takes precedent over seeing any birds.   We can't impede the dump business if we hope to continue to be welcome there, and we don't want to lose any participants.

The gulling was quite good today, with that possible Slaty-backed Gull and the other bird that I'm now thinking is just a Herring Gull X Lesser Black-backed Gull, plus one Iceland Gull.   Lots of interesting birds to look over in any case.

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut