[CT Birds] Windsor Landfill report

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Feb 22 16:39:00 EST 2013

Great day at the landfill.  We clearly picked the bad day sandwiched between to awesome days for the ID seminar.  There were 2 Iceland Gulls, the usual 2nd cycle with the blue paint stain and a first cycle with a fading base of the bill.  Also, the aforementioned 2nd cycle Glaucous Gull.  That was a huge bird, perhaps the largest Glaucous Gull I've ever seen...very white too.   I had a brief glimpse of a fairly straightforward Nelson's Gull, but no photos.  Also a very pale and large 2nd cycle Herring type, that looked to have Glaucous genes (big, very white and glaucous like bill, but fairly dark primaries).   I had a brief glimpse of the Slaty-backed Gull, but no photos.  Also, the candidate Yellow-legged Gull or hybrid was there and I got some photos.  No luck trying to track down that pale first cycle herring-type with the tail band, but that one is like trying to find a piece of straw in a haystack.

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut