[CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawks

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 10:28:25 EST 2013

There have been a few comments about Red-shouldered Hawk sightings recently
on this list, so I thought a couple of observations might be worthwhile.
This morning I saw a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks mating in the Huntington
section of Shelton. At least those 2 "shoulders" have plenty of energy. It
was surprising to see them mating so early though.

Then, out of curiosity, I checked the sighting reports on eBird to look at
the occurrences of shoulders during the winter of 2012/2013. There is a
huge concentration of Red-shoulders around the Washington DC area and the
red marks (sightings within the last 30 days) seem to be spreading
northward on the eBird sighting reports. So, I am guessing that some of
those sightings of "forlorn" looking Red-shouldered Hawks may be of birds
that have recently returned to Connecticut. Once you follow the reports to
the Massachusetts/Connecticut state line, reported sightings fall off
precipitously. It looks as if we are on the forward edge of a slow
trickling of northward bound Red-shouldered Hawks. Not sure if I am reading
the pattern of occurrence correctly though.

Charlie Barnard Jr.
Stratford