[CT Birds] Red-shouldered Hawks

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 24 14:11:12 EST 2013

At my old house in Preston we had Red-shouldereds nest quite near, and in
some years within sight of, the house. Around their nests they are great
raptor alarms, flying up to vocally chase interlopers away. They alerted me
to many flyby hawks, falcons, and eagles I would never have noticed
otherwise. February was the month that nest site establishment would happen,
and the Shoulders would become very vocal during this month. It always
struck me how early they began the process, but then again that was because
of my human perspective. After all, Barred Owls, Great Horned Owls, and
others get pretty early starts at nesting. As Greg pointed out, we now get
Shoulders over-wintering pretty regularly. It still seems strange to me to
see Shouldereds perched low over a snowy landscape, but I have seen as many
Red-shouldereds as I have seen Accipiters since the turn of the year. And as
Charlie pointed out, those that didn't over-winter are coming back. I still
find the sound of their "Keeeur" above the tree tops very uplifting indeed.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England