[CT Birds] White-headed Finch, and more

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Feb 24 23:10:49 EST 2013

On 2/19 I posted a report from Ann Pacheco about a white-headed House Finch.  Alan Brush learned of the report and sent me the analysis below.  Fascinating stuff!

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

Roy,
Lisa Wahle send me a link to your photo of the White headed House Finch. Interesting. When I down load the larger image, it is difficult to see color in any feathers. Normally the color on the head is due to carotenoid pigments in the feathers. These seem to be absent in any feathers.
The implication is, that when the bird molted into this plumage either there was no pigment in the diet, or the pigment was not absorbed in the gut or deposited in the growing follicle. If the bird is healthy and appears to have no vision problems, then I would guess it is a problem in the follicle. The reason being that vitamin A, an important component in vision, is also absorbed in the gut, and deposited in the eye.
I hope this helps.

        Alan

Alan H Brush
Mystic, CT