[CT Birds] Southport Harbor and Burying Hill

Meredith, Leslie Leslie.Meredith at simonandschuster.com
Mon Feb 18 16:41:48 EST 2013

3:00: BH:  30-plus Brandt, 3 pr Hooded Mergansers, numerous pairs black ducks, mallards

3:30: S'port: A very handsome male Scaup with a beautiful bright eye!--I believe it's a Lesser; 4 pr Buffleheads ; and a Common Loon paddled in from the Sound to the boat ramp, then turned around and headed back out!  It was very exciting to see! A small very pale falcon I failed to i.d. flew overhead from the golf course.  A hawk with a pale underside and very black wrist spots flew over the yacht club and had me so excited that I ran after it about a half mile along Harbor Road, but it landed in a tree and turned into a  juvie Red-tailed hawk instead of a Rough-legged.