[CT Birds] Gull ID Seminar

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Feb 18 20:48:22 EST 2013

Just a reminder of the upcoming gull ID Seminar this Thursday (details below). Hopefully that gull is around still.  Car pooling is a very good idea.  There is a commuter parking lot off of 91 at exit 38.  There is limited parking at the dump with all of the snow and if it gets above freezing, you probably want to have 4 wheel drive.  Sometimes the drive in is fine and the drive out quite muddy.   They ask that we don't drive any further than the mulch piles.   Also, I would wear waterproof boots.

Not sure how to organize car pooling though without clogging up this list.  Maybe folks can email Chris (address below), since there's a risk of things getting lost in my flood of GBBC emails going back and forth this week.  Or maybe folks can just meet at the commuter lot at 9:30 and work out a system.

I suspect there may be larger than the typical handful of participants we usually have.

I'm hoping to get to the landfill a little early to get some scouting done.

Thursday, February 21
 COA Gull Workshop
WhenThu, February 21, 10am – 1pm
WhereWindsor-Bloomfield Landfill, 500 Huckleberry Road, Windsor (map<http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Windsor-Bloomfield%20Landfill%2C%20500%20Huckleberry%20Road%2C%20Windsor>)
DescriptionThis workshop will help birders learn how to identify the common gulls in all of their different plumages and recognize the uncommon and rare species such as Glaucous, Iceland, Lesser Black-backed, and even Thayer’s and Slaty-backed Gull. The landfill is the premier site in the state in winter to see rare gulls and to examine all of the gull species in their varied plumages. Meet at the landfill entrance at 500 Huckleberry Road (off of Prospect Hill Road) in Windsor. Carpool, if possible, to reduce the number of cars entering the landfill. Bring a scope if you have one. Snow/rain date: Friday, February 22nd. Leaders: Patrick Comins and Mark Szantyr. Contact person: Chris Loscalzo at 203 389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road