[CT Birds] 1 Hoary Redpoll in with 40

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 19 12:31:59 EST 2013

This noon, feeders were blitzed by 40 plus Redpoll. They were a new group, only
stayed for 10 mins, very spooky bunch. Within was a light frosty bird, and with
nocks I saw clear rump, with 2 light gray feathers at tail end of rump, very few
light streaking on sides. A Male with almost no red, but pink on chest. The bill
looked small as well.

I was going to take a picture, but they flew off before I had time. I'm
confident it was a Hoary.
Hope it comes back, but I have noticed up here in NW CT, the Redpolls seem to be
wandering about daily. I never get the same counts. I do however, have the same
5 birds here daily, as does my neighbor.
I will post if I see it again, and it stays longer. If you live near Harwinton,
keep an eye out for this very light bird in with a group of 40 other Redpoll.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton