[CT Birds] First Spring Arrival

jayne.neville at cox.net jayne.neville at cox.net
Wed Feb 20 07:54:05 EST 2013

CT Birders,

This morning the sounds of Spring filled my ears! Red-winged blackbird
singing by the frozen
snow covered pond! Didn't seem to matter to the beautiful male or myself as
we both seem to
feel it's just a matter of time before Spring arrives in earnest!

The Carolina wren hasn't taken a breath since dawn' house finches are
singing non stop as well
and if I wasn't hearing all the redoolls in the background it would sound
like a morning in April!

Last week I was woken at 5 a.m to a pair of Barred owls just outside my
bedroom window having
quite the conversation.  Needless to say but I woke up with a big smile on
my face after listening
to their courtship! Red tail hawks are sharing perches these days!

Eastern bluebirds have been all over the boxes since the beginning of
February and are
becoming very territorial at the mealworm fgreen andy could weather
permitting be egg laying
by the end of March!

This time next month some of my favorite summer friends from American
woodcocks, Tree
swallows and Eastern phobes will be arriving with Ruby throated
hummingbirds close on their

I am so ready for green!

Jayne Neville
Mount Vernon Songbird Sanctuary