[CT Birds] kinglets-BW

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Feb 21 22:15:09 EST 2013

Just because all of the photos were Golden-crowned doesn't necessarily mean that there weren't any Ruby-crowned mixed in.  Did you happen to hear any of the calls the birds were doing?  They both have very different calls, with the G-c doing a think zee,zee,zee and R-c a harsher and louder "did-it"  Both are pretty vocal.

By the way the bird that is least likely to get accepted from the count was one of my own, a possible Yellow-legged Gull in Windsor.   Tough to rule out a hybrid Herring X Lesser Black-backed and I keep waffling myself.  Currently I'm back to thinking about the possibility of a Yellow-legged gull.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road