[CT Birds] How nutritious can that be?

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 23 13:03:31 EST 2013

While I was walking yesterday I saw an adult Red-shouldered sitting on a
light pole over Rte 395 in Norwich. I don't like to anthropomorphize either,
but that bird's posture did seem forlorn, though it was much more likely
just very hungry. Birds aren't the only ones being affected by the tough
conditions, I have had to "hike" on pavement lately because I can't park at
any of my favorite trailheads because they are under snow banks. Over 30
miles this week on paved roads, ugh, most unnatural!

But the tide is turning, today I heard Juncos singing, Pileated Woodpeckers
drumming and being very vocal, and a flock of about 600 to 800 Grackles has
moved into the neighborhood. Just a few more weeks and Woodcocks will be

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England