[CT Birds] American Woodcock Waterford

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 25 21:48:51 EST 2013

I left work after dusk today and an American Woodcock was peenting along the
bank of Niantic Bay on Millstone Point in Waterford. I had to do some
errands on the way home and didn't have time to check for more birds on the
point. In the past I have experienced days with many just-arrived Woodcocks
displaying and calling in the gravel areas around Millstone Point,
occasionally more than 20 at once. Usually they arrive a bit later than this
though. A number of organisms, such as birds, are changing their biological
timing in response to climate changes. This is called phenological
plasticity and it is a response that allows organisms to adapt to and
exploit earlier opportunities to migrate, breed, or in the case of plants,
bloom/flower. Last year we saw some notably early arriving avian migrants. I
expect this year will likely offer some more of the same surprises.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England

 <http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>