[CT Birds] And don't forget Mr. or Misss possible Slaty

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Feb 26 07:40:27 EST 2013

Though initial feedback from world experts is mixed on that possible Slaty-backed Gull, we really need to continue to study the bird that Mark found at the Windsor Landfill, if it hangs around.   Some very good birders still feel this is a Slaty-backed Gull.  It seems to be a situation where it is very off for a Herring Gull on big points and only slightly off for a Slaty-backed Gull on small points.  Regardless of whether it is ultimately "countable", It is a stunning bird, and a trying to pick it out can really sharpen your birding skills.  You might also come across that possible Yellow-legged Gull, which is also stunning and a great observation sharpening exercise.    Also, Keith Mueller found a dark mantled adult bird in Windsor that is very interesting and has some features that make us wonder if it could be a European Herring Gull...we need photos of the bird in flight!   OK, now I have to get out gulling.

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut