[CT Birds] Long Beach Iceland Gull

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Tue Feb 26 13:16:56 EST 2013

I haven't seen the bird in life, but from the pictures, it doesn't appear to
have anything wrong with it for a first-cycle Iceland (Kumlien's) Gull.
- the faded darkness of the outer webs of the primaries and well-marked barring
on the vent is typical of kumlieni.
- the tail pattern, with that interior marbling is also pro-Iceland.
- the bill pattern is also typical of Iceland at this time of year as they
develop a more bi-colored bill.

The bird is large, but size in gulls is so variable that I don't believe it
trumps the other field characters. On large Icelands, such as this, bill color
can be a pitfall for Glaucous, but the bill shape and dark of the tip is still
not as clean-cut, or "dipped-in-ink" looking as shown by a typical Glaucous.

Glaucous also tend to have a disproportionately beady eyes and thicker legs as
well as whiter primaries lacking any obvious duskiness along the shafts of the
primaries.

 Julian Hough
New Haven, CT 06519
www.naturescapeimages.wordpress.com